Painting and Decorating Tips
Woodall Property Services are professional painters and decorators
that service Rotherham, Sheffield and the surrounding region. We offer first class comprehensive painting and decorating solutions at competitive prices. If you are considering undertaking a decorating project, please contact us today for your free no obligation quote.
To ensure the work on the exterior or interior of your property is undertaken safely and completed to an excellent standard, we recommend calling in the professionals. To find out more about the solutions Woodall Property Services offer for domestic and commercial premises, please visit our painting and decorating services page.
Interior decorators utilise paint to provide your walls, ceilings and external fixtures with an attractive appearance that protects the surface of your linings. Further still, speciality paints can be used for problematic areas, or when you want that extra special touch.
The two most common types of paint are:
Water-based paints, commonly referred to as emulsion paints. These are available with a matt finish, eggshell (slightly shinier than a traditional matt finish), satin and gloss. Water-based paints are also now used externally, whereas in the past, oil based paints would have ruled. Emulsion paints can have different properties to make them extra cleanable and suitable for wet areas. Water-based paints also have a lower VOC content.
Oil-based paints contain oils or alkyd resins. Traditionally, oil-based paints are used on internal and external woodwork and metal work. Oil-based paints tend to have a higher VOC content, which makes them less environmentally friendly. Like their water-based counterparts, oil-based paints are available in a variety of finishes including, matt, satin, eggshell and gloss.
When it comes to painting, preparation is everything! In fact, almost all surfaces are suitable for painting, but only if the workspace is prepared properly and the correct type of paint is applied.
The most common cause of paint failure is poor surface preparation. Here are some handy painting and decorating preparation tips to consider:
- Clean all surfaces in preparation for painting. Make sure no dust, grease or dirt remains.
- Ensure the surface provides a good key for the paint, which enables the paint to stick to the surface better. This can be achieved by lightly sanding down smooth surfaces, such as new plaster.
- Remove any old flaking paint with fine abrasive sandpaper. The old paint is probably flaking due to poor preparation. Take the paint back to the raw surface and start again.
- Utilise primers when painting new surfaces. This will provide good adhesion for successive coats and will also help to protect the underlying surface.
- Make sure to cover all flooring and items of furniture with dust sheets. The last thing you want is paint all over your nice cream sofa!
Painting and Decorating Tools
Tools for painting and decorating are highly important. Good quality supplies can be found at any of the popular DIY stores. A typical painting and decorating tool list will consist of: small roller, large roller, 3” brush, fine abrasive paper, roller tray and dust sheets. Use a good quality brush and roller. The last thing you want is bits of fluff or strands of your brush ruining the job.
Make sure you use the right size brush and roller for the job. As a rule, smaller brushes and rollers are better for corners, junctions between walls and ceilings and behind radiators. Larger brushes and rollers are better for bigger areas, as they will help you to cover the surface faster.
At Woodall Property Services, we know that it can be difficult to select the right paint finish the job. Here is a quick guide to different finishes to help you on your way:
Matt finish - Matt paints are water based and provide a low sheen finish. Matt paints are suitable for interior walls with a less than perfect appearance
Eggshell - eggshell paints provide slightly more sheen than Matt paints, but less than mid-sheen paints such as silk and satin. Eggshell paint can be used on woodwork and interior walls where a classic robust finish is required.
Silk and satin finish - silk and satin paints provide a slightly higher sheen than Matt paints. Silk paints are suitable for interior walls and satin for woodwork. On walls, silk paints will show imperfections more readily, but are easier to wipe clean. On woodwork, satin paints will help to hide imperfections.
Gloss finish - gloss paints provide a high sheen and reflect more light than other finishes. Gloss is an excellent choice for woodwork and metal work, particulars when you want the quality of the underlying material to stand out.
Want to achieve the perfect finish for your painting and decorating job? Get in touch
Tips for Painting the Office
The look and feel of an office does have an impact on the productivity and job satisfaction of staff. Therefore, the importance of decorating the workspace should not be underestimated.
A professional finish with attention to detail is a must, especially if you are inviting clients to your premises. Bold and intense colours can help invigorate staff. Therefore, helping them to work more efficiently.
Choose the colours carefully as this has been shown to impact mood and stress levels. When you have decided how each area will be used you can start to allocate colours. Depending on whether it is an area to relax, be serious inspired etc.
The issue of budgeting needs to be addressed. Ensure you choose the right amount of paint for the job. For this reason, it is sometimes beneficial to enlist the help of professional painters and decorators, They have the knowledge and experience to make sure tools and materials are suitable for the required finish. This can save you time, effort and money.
Visit our commercial painting and decorating service page to see how we can help.
Five top tips when looking for a good tradesperson
1. Punctuality is key - one of the biggest problems with finding a tradesperson is looking for someone who is reliable. If they turn up late for an initial visit, or don't show, you may be better looking elsewhere
2. Cheaper may not be better - the cheapest quote may not always be the best value for money or quality. Ask for a breakdown of any quotes to make sure there are no hidden fees.
3. Read reviews - check reviews of previous customers. Good tradespeople will be keen to show off their reviews.
4. Respect is everything - if they don't speak to you with respect, then they are not likely to treat your home and belongings with respect either
5. Qualifications experience and guarantees - good tradespeople will almost always have experience and trade qualifications to back up their practical knowledge. Don't forget to check if they are willing to give a guarantee on their workmanship
Why Not Use a Professional Painting and Decorating Service?
If the idea of completing a painting and decorating project by yourself appears daunting, complicated and stressful, why not allow Woodall Property Services to help. Not only will you save time and effort, you can also be confident that the job will be finished to an outstanding quality.
Additionally, our expert knowledge will ensure the work is long lasting and durable, which will save you time and money in the future. So, what are you waiting for, contact us today for your free no obligation quote.